Tredegar is an early industrial town, that prides inself on being the Home of the National Health Service. Iron working started in the town in 1750 with subsequent larger scale ironworks at Sirhowy (1778) and Tredegar. The Tredegar Iron Company was established by Samuel Homfray in 1800, with the name taken from the Tredegar Estate who owned the land (Tredegar House, Newport, was the home of the Morgan family). The main roads and The Circle are examples of early town planning, and the imposing clock was erected in 1858.
The history of the town includes the fight for democracy led by The Chartists and the creation of the NHS. Aneurin Bevan MP had started his career in the local coal mines; as his political career developed he drew on the experiences he'd witnessed, as a miner's agent, councillor, MP and as a board member of the Tredegar Medical Aid Society which helped all who contributed. You can follow the story of Bevan's oratory at Bedwellty House (where Nye was a local councillor), at Tredegar Local History Museum and at the new Medical Aid Heritage Centre. There are also artworks, walks and trails through the town and nearby landscape.
Tredegar Sculpture Trail - all marked on the Fothergill Trail
The town also has a selection of independent shops.
|Nearby Attractions (within approximately 5 miles)||
Parc Bryn Bach - great for a walk or many adventure activities such as Archery, Cycling, FootGolf, Golf and courses such as Caving.
Trefil Quarries - which features in many films and TV programmes.
The Owl Sanctuary, Ebbw Vale
Guardian, Six Bells
The Bevan Festival runs prior to the first Sunday in July. It celebrates Aneurin Bevan, born in Tredegar who gave us OUR NHS the greast socialist welfare model.
|Hotels and Inns|
|Cafes and Restaurants||
In the town there are numerous cafes, and also several inns with great food reputations; The Cambrian Inn, The Tredegar Arms, The Top House, Mountain Air, The Nags Head, The Tamarind, Morgan's and The Railway Tavern are just a few.
|Length of Stay||Tredegar is great as a short stop whilst exploring The Valleys or can be a half day visit for those exploring the history of the area.|
Coach Parking – Drop off points in town centre bus bays or in Stable Lane. Parking At Tredegar Recreation Ground near top park gates. Tredegar NP22 3NL 51.767667, -3.246498
Public toilet near bus bays at Shopping Centre 08.00- 17.00 daily Monday-Saturday. Facilities also available at Bedwellty Park and Parc Bryn Bach every day.
|Tourist Information and contact for more information|
|Other Information||Book a local guide to bring the story of Tredegar to life.|